I really hope you are enjoying this series from the Y of the USA on a Healthy Family Home. It really is one of the best ways to make a change in our lives for the better. It all begins at home! – Christy
Continuing our effort to help encourage a Healthy Family Home this is the third in a series dedicated to the Healthy Family Home initiative. There are 5 pillars of a Healthy Family Home: Eat Healthy, Play Every Day, Get Together, Go Outside and Sleep Well.
Play Every Day. Play may be the best way to prevent childhood obesity. Put more play into your family’s day, and you will soon find yourself getting the activity that will have your family feeling energized and strong.
Key Healthy Habits
- Families At Play For An Hour a Day- Playful movement is one of the keys to a healthy family home. It doesn’t matter what you choose to do. Just think of all the many choices you have from walking to gardening to vacuuming the carpet, let alone the fun you can have with your kids swimming in a pool, going for a hike, shooting some hoops, or taking a favorite pet for a walk To get 60 minutes of moderate activity throughout your day just add then minutes here and fifteen minutes there.
- Turn It Up a Notch- Several times each week, spend a little more energy while moving. Try to engage in vigorous activities at least three times each week for 20 consecutive minutes, but don’t worry if five or ten minutes leaves you feeling wiped out at first. Small steps will get you there, so don’t overdo it. When the play stops feeling good, take a break.
- this week, we will take a 30 minute family bike ride.
- This week, we will take ____ (#) family walks together around the block.
- This week, we will attend family swim at the Y on ___________ (day).
- This week, we will walk the dog instead of letting her/him out into the yard.
- This week, I will play ball with the other kids for 15 minutes when I get home.
-Healthy Family Home YMCA of USA
find more information at http://ymca.net/healthy-family-home/